Head of Software Engineering
Head of Software Engineering (Web, BI, .NET, QA, DevOps) sought for a nationwide environmental charity
This is a high responsibility and impactful position within an organisation committed to inspiring a passion for the environment and nature. They manage a number of venues and attractions around the UK, online resources and digital content, as well as delivering special events and shows.
As the Head of Software Engineering you will lead the Software Engineering / Development and BI teams as they transform and integrate their platforms, websites and apps to build the next generation of applications supporting the organisation's education, research, commerce, marketing, and entertainment objectives.
The Head of Software Engineering will champion software engineering best principles across your teams to ensure maintainable, secure and scalable code is delivered, and will instil and promote Agile approaches, CI/CD and DevOps principles.
- Manage and provide leadership to Software Engineering and BI teams, also working closely with the Digital function, to develop new and improve existing services
- Manage complex software releases, delivering maintainable, secure, scalable and reliable solutions
- Coach and develop growing teams of talented engineers, including making new hires as the function grows
- Champion best software engineering principles and practises (Agile, TDD, CI/CD)
- As needed, integrate and manage third party suppliers and ensure they operate effectively and in-line with the team's development practices.
- Own the quality of the work delivered by the team
- Act as the contact point for customers of the Software Engineering the Head of Digital, Head of Business Change and Head of IT
The organisation are looking for an experienced individual who can bring a wealth of knowledge and ideas to drive change; introducing new ways of doing things / new tools and technologies.
You should have a proven background implementing accelerated test-and-learn product development through agile development and devops practices. You'll have an authoritative technical background to direct and mentor your teams. You'll also be confident being business facing - presenting on business benefits and speaking in non-technical language to C-level stakeholders
Your experience should include:
- Working in a leadership role or at a similar level or a track record which demonstrates an ability to take on the role.
- Delivering solutions using native cloud services, preferably using Microsoft Azure (Working knowledge of Infrastructure as Code e,g. Terraform, is desirable)
- Implementing changes to technology and processes within a software engineering function
- Coaching / embedding Agile practices, ideally Scrum plus one other methodology
- Performing Source Code Management using Git or similar
- Assessing scope and size of software development requests.
- Experience of working in an ITIL managed environment.
You'll be part of a friendly and supportive team where you can enjoy a range of perks. There is also a wide degree of flexibility around work from home.
Apply now, then get in touch for more information.